Red Lentil Soup Recipe 10023 Views
Red Lentil Soup Recipe 9587 Views
Most Popular Moroccan Recipes:Harissa Paste Recipe 22148 Views
Baba Ganoush Eggplant Dip Recipe 13787 Views
Spicy Bread Recipe 9613 Views
- Prep Time
- 30 Minutes
- Total Time
- 2 hours 10 Minutes
- 6-8 Servings
1 lb. lamb, cubed (can substitute chicken or omit meat for vegetarian dish)
¼ C virgin olive oil
3 stalks celery, chopped with leaves
6 fresh tomatoes, sliced into small pieces
2 C canned chickpeas, washed and drained
¾ C lentils
1 Onion, large, grated
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. ground ginger
1-½ tsp. ground fresh black pepper
½ tsp. turmeric
¼ tsp. nutmeg, ground or grated
¼ tsp. saffron
¾ C fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
¾ C fresh flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
2 qts. water
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
salt to taste
2. Sear lamb on all sides until brown and then remove from pot and set aside.
3. In the same pot, reduce heat to medium and sauté onions and celery until onions are translucent.
4. Add all the spices and sauté for 2 minutes more.
5. Add tomatoes and cook for 4 minutes.
6. Add 2 qts. water and lamb to the pot.
7. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes.
8. Add pepper, salt to taste, lentils, and chickpeas and simmer until lentils are tender (about 20 minutes).
9. Add lemon juice, cilantro, and parsley, stir well, and serve.